Denmark has legalised online gambling, although only under strict conditions. Denmark is one of the most regulated markets for online gamblers to play in. However, the upside is that it is also one of the safest countries to place your favourite bets online. If this sounds confusing, you need not worry. In just a few short paragraphs, we aim to straighten out the Danish gambling scene, so you know what you can and cannot do when betting online in Denmark.
Can I Gamble Online in Denmark?
The Danish Gambling Authority upholds all Danish gambling laws. According to the laws of the country, it is possible to bet online, provided you opt to play at a Danish licensed betting site. In some cases, this involves playing at state-owned monopoly sites, while others have a bit more freedom. Either way, it is legal to bet online in the Scandinavian country.
A Brief Look at the Gambling Laws in Denmark
Denmark might keep a firm hand on the tiller when it comes to gambling online, but the market is nonetheless open. The Gambling Act has set out the laws for the country. There is a separate act which governs poker gameplay. The Danish Gambling Authority (known locally as Spillemyndigheden) oversees the upholding of those laws. The same organisation also provides Danish gambling licenses to all approved operators. The exceptions to this rule are lotteries, which are controlled by Danske Spil, a state-owned monopoly.
Online Gambling in Denmark
Denmark has legalised virtually all forms of gambling games. The Danish Gambling Act which came into force in 2012 effectively ended Danske Spil’s monopolised control of online gambling, although the organisation still runs lotteries in the country. Under the revised gambling laws, any operator can theoretically apply for a gambling license. To date, around thirty such operators, including global giants as well as Danish classics such as Tivoli have applied for and been granted licenses.
Many of the operators who are legal holders of Danish gambling licenses provide multiple services to Danes. For instance, it is possible to see online casino games, sports betting options, and poker gameplay all at the same sites. Daily fantasy sports are also legalised in the country, making them one of the few nations to do so. Moreover, lottery websites and games are legal, although these are run at sites under the control of Danske Spil.
Any operators which do not have Danish gambling licenses, such as offshore casinos are technically considered illegal in Denmark. The country does try to blacklist those foreign casinos and is not opposed to fining them if possible. Danish gambling laws do state that persons could, in theory, be fined for playing at offshore casinos. In practice, this has not been implemented. Moreover, many Danish players choose to play at offshore casinos and use VPNs (virtual private networks) to get around such bans.
Why Play at a Danish Online Casino?
Here are a few reasons why deciding to play at a Danish online casino could be for you:
- Ample Games: Danish online casinos typically carry sports betting and poker games, too. Signing up at any one of these domains is likely to see you able to wager on a variety of games all under one roof.
- Danish Gameplay: Denmark is a small country with a small population of native speakers across the globe. Some of the larger, more international casinos are unlikely to offer Danish language gaming or the Danish krone as a currency option, but Danish casinos certainly will.
- Safe, Secure and Licensed: Denmark has made its feelings known about offshore casinos. However, if you opt to play at a Danish licensed online casino or betting site, you can rest assured that you are playing at a legal domain.
Finding the Best Danish Online Casinos
Of course, you are always advised to ensure that you sign up at a Danish licensed online casino. After all, these are the only forms of internet betting sites which are thoroughly licensed and totally legal in the Scandinavian country. That said, if you fancy offshore casinos, they are an option which is open to you. Ultimately, wherever you choose to play should be governed by the following points…
- Safe, Licensed and Secure: As with the previous section, you are advised to play at licensed casinos. If you decide to play at a casino which is not licensed out of Denmark, then make sure you choose one which is licensed out of a reputable jurisdiction, such as Malta, the UK, or neighbouring Sweden.
- Bonuses and Promotions: Danish online casinos have strict rules regarding which promotions and bonuses they can offer players. Those regulations do not govern offshore casinos. With that in mind, make sure that any casino you choose to play at features promotions which have fair terms and conditions, especially regarding wagering requirements and playthrough rates.
- Top Casino Games: Again, as mentioned in the previous section, you will want to be sure that you will not get bored after registering. It would help if you looked for a casino which features titles from many different providers, and a good casino will support many kinds of games. These may include slots, video poker, table games and live dealer titles.
- Flexible Options: You should be able to play in comfort and with ease at any top casino. Danish language casinos and those sites which offer the Danish currency are a plus. On top of that, it helps if these casinos also provide mobile gameplay, have responsible gaming options in place (such as deposit and wager limits), and customer support methods which suit your needs. On top of that, it is an advantage if Danish-friendly payment options are supported.
Yours Questions Answered: Our FAQ Guide on Danish Online Casino Gambling
Danish players who still have one or two questions may be able to get the answers they need with this brief FAQ (frequently asked questions) guide.
Using the four steps discussed in the previous section, you should be able to find a top place to play. However, if you want to be doubly sure that you are playing at a secure domain, just opt to play at a site which is licensed by Spillemyndigheden.
No. Denmark’s gambling laws make it fully legal for you to play at any online casino which is licensed by Spillemyndigheden, or lottery sites run by Danske Spil. Other licensed domains are technically not permitted, but that has not stopped Danes from signing up to them.
Players must be aged 18 or older to wager on any sort of gambling games, online or offline in the Scandinavian country.
Whether you can trust an offshore casino depends on several factors. If it features a reputable license, promotes responsible gaming, and performs well in reviews, then it is a fair bet that you have got a trusted site on your hands.
Players in Denmark use a variety of different options to top-up their balances and cash out their winnings at Danish casinos. These are known to include MasterCard, VISA, Dankort, Skrill, Neteller, Nordea, EcoPayz and PayPal. PayPal can only be used in Danish licensed casinos.
Yes. Players should note that Danish casinos are under strict rules and regulations regarding the value of those offers and the terms and conditions they must have applied to them. These restrictions do not govern foreign casinos, so the bonuses at those sites tend to be more lavish.