Chile may not have a fully regulated online gambling market, but things are a lot smoother if you wish to place bets online in Chile than some of its South American neighbours. While gambling is, for the large part technically illegal, Chile does not crackdown on its players engaging in online casino gaming or any form of internet betting for that matter. This gives Chileans a relatively smooth ride. What does that mean? Let’s divine into the world of Chilean online casino gaming to get a closer look.
Can I Gamble Online in Chile?
As with most South American countries, officially you are not supposed to gamble online. Some of its neighbours crack down hard on this rule. However, Chile is not one of those countries. On the contrary, players in Chile seemingly have access to virtually all offshore and foreign casino sites that they might want to play at. While the industry is unregulated, it is, at least for the time being, relatively free.
A Brief Look at the Gambling Laws in Chile
Chilean gambling history stretches back to 1852. Chile’s first land-based casino opened in 1930 and is still a permanent fixture in the country. Land-based gambling in Chile is considered legal for the most part, with all gambling operations regulated by the Superintendencia de Casinos de Juego. The most recent gambling laws stretch back to 2004, and because of this, only 24 land-based venues can now operate in Chile.
Online casinos are another story, so let us look at how the gambling laws affect online gambling opportunities for Chileans.
Online Gambling in Chile
Officially, Chile does not have any laws in place which legalise online gambling. Despite that, it is still forbidden for players to engage in online gambling activities. Notably, these are more recommendations than laws, and they predominantly apply to Chilean online casinos, not those based offshore which offer services to players in Chile.
Chile has often talked of legislating to make online casino gaming legal, with a fully regulated market operating under the jurisdiction of the Superintendencia de Casinos de Juego. However, at the time of writing, nothing has come to pass in that regard.
Chileans will note that there are no local online betting sites in Chile for them to join. They must, therefore, frequent offshore and foreign casinos if they wish to play games on the internet. There are currently no punishments in place for Chileans who want to do this. While this means that players in Chile can gamble as they see fit online, they must also note that there is no official regulation in their home country. There are, therefore, relying on other countries to regulate those external sites, and this does not always happen.
Why Play at a Chilean Online Casino?
When we talk about a Chilean online casino, we are clearly referring to offshore casinos which cater t players in Chile, as there are no homegrown Chilean casino sites. Here are a few of the reasons why you might wish to play at such online casinos…
- You Have No Choice: As Chile does not have its own online casinos, players who wish to bet online are required to do so at offshore domains. There are plenty of external domains which cater to players from Chile, but you are going to have to use one of these resources.
- Chilean Gameplay: A good number of these foreign internet casinos have made their services specialised to cater to players in Chile. This includes gameplay in Spanish, but also the use of the Chilean peso. Customer support options may also be provided in Spanish, and Chilean-friendly payment methods may appear at a handful of domains.
- It Is Not Punishable: At no point will players in Chile by punished for visiting offshore casinos. This means that Chileans have quite a few different betting options when it comes to gambling sites. You are, in a sense, free to play at any site you wish.
- There Are Still Licensed Domains: Chile may not regulate casinos or offer up Chilean gambling licenses to these casinos. However, this does not mean to say that there are not foreign sites which are not regulated and safe. A good number of these offshore casinos are regulated and licensed out of reputable jurisdictions and by authorities such as the Malta Gaming Authority, and even in some cases, the UK Gambling Commission.
Finding the Best Chilean Online Casinos
If you want to play online casino games in Chile, you are going to need to visit one of the many offshore casinos which exist. Some are worth their salt, and others should be avoided. How can you tell which site is to be trusted, though? By following the guide listed below, and grading your chosen casino against the following checklist, you should be able to gauge whether a Chilean online casino can be trusted or not. Things to look for include:
- Safe, Licensed and Secure: There is no point looking for a Chilean license, as you will not find one. Instead, try and play at the most regulated and well-licensed casinos you can. In most cases, they will be Maltese or UK licensed operators. However, Gibraltar, Kahnawake and Curacao licensed domains might fit the bill, too.
- Bonuses and Promotions: While all offshore casinos will offer promos and bonus deals aplenty, not all of them are going to be accessible to Chileans. Because of this, you need to check the terms and conditions of each offer. A good casino catering to players in Chile will also make sure that their promotions can be claimed by players in the country. Moreover, the terms and conditions attached to those offers will be fair.
- Top Casino Games: There is no point signing up to an online casino if it only features a handful of games. What you want to see is a great array of games from many different providers. On top of that, you should look for casinos which can serve up live dealer casino games, as many of these can be played in Spanish.
- Chilean Service: Any online casino which aims its services at players in Chile should be able to back that up. Being able to offer gameplay in Spanish is a must. Moreover, you should also ensure that your chosen casino has a variety of payment methods which will appeal to you. These may include Chilean banking options. Lastly, a good Chilean online casino will offer support in Spanish and will likely do so via a variety of methods, including toll-free telephone, e-mail, and live chat. On top of that, those options should be free to use, and be available outside of peak hours, around the clock if possible.
Yours Questions Answered: Our FAQ Guide on Chilean Online Casino Gambling
You will likely still have one or two lingering questions about Chilean online casino gambling. Hopefully, we can answer some of those in the FAQ (frequently asked questions) guide below.
There are two ways which we would recommend. You can use the criteria and checklist above to compare any casino you are considering playing at, to see if it fits the bill. Alternatively, our website will recommend top Chilean online casinos, and all of these are safe, secure, and regulated.
No. There are laws in place which state that it is illegal for Chilean businesses to offer gambling services to players in the country. However, there is no legislation or regulation in place, which prevents Chileans from betting at offshore and foreign casino sites.
Chileans need to be 18 years of age if they wish to bet in any of the country’s land-based casinos. The same age would apply if Chile legalised online gambling. Therefore, if you are 18, you should be able to play at offshore casinos, too.
This question really depends on where you decide to play. There are both good and bad casinos out there. The best ones will be licensed, regulated and secure. These are very trustworthy. As for the bad sites? Well, we are sure you know the rest.
The options you will find to deposit and withdraw with can vary from site to site. However, most Chilean casinos will accept major credit card and debit card options, e-wallets, and prepaid methods. Some may also accept cryptocurrencies, and an exceedingly rare few may also process transactions via Chilean banks.
Yes. Chilean online casinos will offer bonuses and promotions to players. Again, though, it is worth checking out the terms and conditions of each offer, as the more international sites do sometimes have limitations on where a player must live to claim an offer. You are going to want to do this anyway to check that the wagering requirements are fair.