Argentines may have gambling games readily accessible in their country, but the legality of such games is far from clear cut. Argentina is another one of those countries where gambling laws are more prevalent at a regional level, rather than a national one.
This can make things a little tricky to understand if you are not well-read on the situation. Fortunately, by the time you have finished reading this guide to online gambling in Argentina, you should have a much clearer picture.
Top Argentina Online Casinos
The CasinoRankings.com team has rated and reviewed dozens of online casinos that accept Argentina residents. Here, we’ve ranked the best Argentina online casinos of the year. If you’re from Argentina and ready to start gambling online for real money, simply visit one of our recommended Argentinian online casinos below.
Choosing an Argentine Online Casino
Argentine online casinos can belong to one of two groups. Officially, they are those online casinos that hold a gambling license issued by one of the nation’s regions. These are also fully regulated domains. Alternatively, we can also call offshore casinos which cater to players in the country Argentine casinos, too. There are differences and similarities between them, such as…
- Spanish Gameplay: One of the similarities between Argentine online casinos, and those which merely cater to players in Argentine is the use of the Spanish language. Most Argentines do not speak English, so Spanish language gameplay is commonly found at such sites.
- Argentine peso: It does not take much effort for offshore casinos catering to Argentines to accept the Argentine peso currency option. Both types of Argentine casinos will typically offer this. However, while those sites licensed out of Argentina will feature payment methods exclusive to players in the country (such as Argentine banks), those based offshore will likely have more general banking options available.
- The Variety of Games: Another big difference can be (though, is not always) the range of games available. Argentina-licensed casinos seldom have the range of games you can find at the big, offshore and international casinos. This makes the latter more appealing. Even so, there are offshore casinos with arguably worse collections of games than those find at locally licensed domains.
- Support and Assistance: Both types of casinos will offer customer support. However, those licensed in Argentina are guaranteed to provide Spanish language assistance, they will do so at times that suit players in the country and will often provide speedier responses than those based offshore.
- Regulation: All Argentine casinos are guaranteed to be regulated, according to the strict rules of each region in the country. Any of the larger, more international foreign sites will feature regulation and security which is on par, and arguably better than local Argentine casinos. However, many offshore sites lack even the most basic regulation, making national casino sites arguably better.
How we Find the Best Argentine Online Casinos
As you can see from above, there are pros and cons of playing at both locally licensed Argentine casinos, and those which are based offshore. Argentina does not punish its citizens who play at offshore casinos, so ultimately, the choice is yours concerning where you wish to play. Whichever route you choose to go down, though, it is always worth looking for the following traits:
- Safe, Licensed, and Secure: Online casinos that are licensed and regulated out of Argentina are safe and secure. However, if you do decide to play at an offshore casino, it is undoubtedly worth ensuring that the domain you play at is licensed out of a major gambling jurisdiction, such as Malta, the United Kingdom or Gibraltar.
- Bonuses and Promotions: Argentine casinos tend to have quite strict rules regarding the types of promotions and bonuses you can claim. The rules are more relaxed at offshore casinos. However, some foreign sites may try and entice Argentines with over-the-top deals. The best Argentine online casinos will carry promotions and bonuses, but they will feature fair terms and conditions.
- Top Casino Games: Any online casino (no matter where it is licensed) should offer its players access to a wide range of games, ideally from a multitude of developers. These games should span both those of chance and those of skill, and include slots, table games, live dealer, mobile-friendly, video poker and instant win titles, amongst others. Moreover, they should be RNG (random number generator) certified.
- Trusted and Verified: One of the problems with having so many offshore casinos to choose from is that you may end up joining an online casino that you should avoid. To get around this, only play at casinos which are licensed, regulated, and receive favourable reviews from credited sources.
- No Strings Attached: Top Argentine online casinos will not leave you hanging. They will have no strings attached when it comes to the way they operate. For instance, you should not have to wait more than a few days to get hold of your winnings. You should not have to pay withdrawal fees or cough up to enjoy customer support. Any casino which has hidden charges should be avoided.
Argentina Gambling Laws
As mentioned, each region in Argentina has its own gambling laws. Buenos Aires was the first region to legalise online gambling, back in 2002. In 2004, both lotteries and sports betting were formally legalised.
It was not until 2006, though, that the South American nation officially handed out its first gambling license.
For an online casino to be legal in Argentina, it must be licensed out of the region you are living in. Moreover, it must also strictly adhere to the rules and regulations of that region. These vary from state to state but typically include responsible gaming policies, and of course, the necessary tax measures. Any casino which does not adhere to these rules could see its license revoked.
Most of Argentina’s recognisable online casinos are licensed out of Buenos Aires, as many of the other regions have taken a stricter line towards gambling. That is starting to loosen over the last few years, as those regions start to look at the potential financial rewards of legalising (and more importantly, regulating) online gambling.
Online Gambling in Argentina
While bona fide Argentine online casinos are few and far between, there are a few offshore casinos run by foreign operators for Argentines to play at. In fact, most Argentines who gamble online will typically do so at international sites, as they offer a greater variety of games than their national counterparts.
Playing at offshore casinos is technically illegal. In 2008, Argentina started to make moves to block access to these domains. However, trusty VPNs (virtual private networks) all be ensured that the government’s actions were unsuccessful.
This is partially the reason why many Argentine regions are now looking at legalising online gambling. It appears to very much be a case of, “if you can’t beat ‘em, join them”.
Yours Questions Answered: Our FAQ Guide on Argentine Online Casino Gambling
Before you dive into an Argentine online casino (or an offshore one catering to Argentines), have a quick read of our FAQ to make sure you do not have any unanswered questions.
In a word – yes. Argentina has made gambling in the country legal, but there is no shortage of legislation which puts caps and limits on what Argentines can and cannot do. Most games of skill and games of chance are regulated, although at a regional level, not a federal one.
This means that each region tends to have its own definitive legislation about what you may or may not do.
Argentina does have gambling licenses, and if you opt to play at any Argentine online casino which is licensed out of one of the country’s regions, you are playing at a legal site. However, there are not too many laws which prevent you from playing at offshore casinos, too.
With that in mind, it is easier to simply say this: you can gamble online in Argentina, but whether it is legal or not depends on several factors.
Above, you will find a list of criteria which you can use to judge an online casino. Any Argentine online casino or foreign site which ticks those boxes should not only be safe to play at, but also represent one of the better domains out there.
Yes and no. Officially, each region in Argentina has the right to determine its own gambling laws, and you can only play at an Argentine casino licensed out of your region. However, you will not be stopped from playing at offshore casinos – at least, not at this moment in time.
Each province may have its own gambling laws, but there is a national gambling age in Argentina. That age is set to 18 years old.
Online casinos which cater to Argentines can be trustworthy, or they may not be. It varies from site to site. Those casinos which are licensed, well-regulated and specifically cater to Argentine players can be trusted.
If you are playing at an Argentine licensed casino, then you will be able to deposit using bank transfers with any one of several banks in the country.
If you frequent an external site to play, you can use VISA, MasterCard, AstroPay, Rapipago and others, as these tend to be the most common amongst Argentine players.
Yes. Argentine licensed casinos do offer bonuses and promotions, but there are stringent rules regarding what can be provided, and even what a casino can promote. Offshore casinos tend to have far less regulation in that regard, so their bonuses tend to be more lavish. You can claim promos and bonuses at either type of site, though.